- 418 368-2104
- Fax : 418 368-8532
Follow Us on
In the language of the Micmac, Gespeg means "end of the land". Gaspé is therefore associated with the origins of the country and of western history in North America. The cross erected by Jacques Cartier in 1534 earned Gaspé the title of Cradle of Canada. Spread out over 1 447 km2, the town groups together 17 coastal villages. Protected by the mountains, Gaspé Bay is a natural shelter, and large cruise ships come from all over to admire this bay.
Gaspé has three internationally-renowned salmon rivers, the York, the Dartmouth and the Saint-Jean, visited by more than 1500 fishermen each year. The eventful summer season becomes the meeting place for swimmers, sailors and sports enthusiasts. Gaspé offers different types of accommodation, several quality restaurants, two marinas, an airport and various attractions and services.
L'Anse-à-Valleau: you must stop at the tourist welcome bureau. This name evokes of a community of people of the sea, and comes from a natural and daily phenomenon: the tides. The Saint-Maurice-de-l’Échouerie parish brings together other hamlets whose names are just as evocative: Pointe-Jaune, Saint-Maurice, Petit-Cap.
Rivière-au-Renard: discover the lively universe of fisheries of this municipality with its wharves, fish processing factories, and fleet of boats. The title of capital of fisheries, is well earned for Rivière-au-Renard, where fish and seafood of all kinds are unloaded and processed on-site. Savour this food in the fish markets. Nearby, the Plage de la Sablière (beach) offers rest and play areas. The marina provides docking services to recreational boaters. In the centre of the village, a marsh is a great place for birdwatching, while the chapel lookout offers a view of the entire village.
L'Anse-au-Griffon: some say that Griffon was the name of a ship that sailed along the coast in the 18th century. Others believe that the name comes from Gris-fonds (grey bottom) in reference to the colour of the seabed. There is also a legend that tells how the Devil, in response to the desperate cries of shipwrecked people, left the marks of his claws (griffes) on the rowboat in which these people had escaped.
Cap-des-Rosiers: the many wild roses that once grew here on the Cape would point to the origin of this cape's name. For sailors, the cape is the demarcation point between the St. Lawrence River and the Gulf. From this site in 1759, an officer sighted Wolfe’s fleet and immediately sent a messenger to Québec City. This area has witnessed numerous shipwrecks, which explains the construction of a lighthouse in 1858. Designated as a historic monument in 1977, it is the highest lighthouse in the country. Cap-des-Rosiers is also the gateway to the Forillon National Park. Along the road leading to the harbour of Cap-des-Rosiers, you come upon the monument commemorating the sinking of the Carrick's, a hitoric event which to this day remains a vivid community memory.
Cap-aux-Os: in 1623, while travelling through Gaspé Bay, the missionary Gabriel Sagard described how the continual roaring noise of the whales and the noise caused by their blowholes was interfering with his sleep. The name of the town was inspired by the many whale bones found along the beach. Enjoy the view of Gaspé Bay and the Penouille presqu'ile, the Boom Defence sand ridge and the Île Plate de Pointe-Saint-Pierre. Follow a nature trail that clings to the side of the mountain, winding its way alongside the village for more than 7 km. Here, horseback riders, cyclists and hikers can find much of the regional forest flora. West of the village, visit Fort Péninsule, an old lookout and vestige of the Second World War.
Southern gateway to the town of Gaspé, Douglastown is home to the largest number of Gaspesians of Irish descent who, to this day, do not miss the opportunity to proudly celebrate St. Patrick's day. Located next to the Saint-Jean River barachois and Gaspé Bay, Douglastown offers an exceptional view of the Forillon Park peninsula. Plan a few stops and take advantage of the welcome at the Auberge located in the centre of the village.
Built in 1936, Fort-Prével aimed its heavy artillery towards the Atlantic and was a military outpost during the Second World War. This location is now converted into a tourist site.
- Electric vehicle charging stations: Tourist Welcome Bureau, Chalets du Bout du Monde, Hôtel des Commandants and Économie Québec (167, rue de la Reine).
- Population: 14 960 inhabitants.
- (Permanent site